Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bonnaroo!








So...what can I say? Bonnaroo was a blast! I had no idea what Bonnaroo even was. Then I got a call asking if I wanted to go to this mysterious Bonnaroo to help table for the Gulf Restoration Network, the non-profit I am interning for. Well, I looked it up, and saw that the Beastie Boys, Snoop Dogg, Bruce Springsteen, Public Enemy, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Nine Inch Nails, Cage the Elephant, moe., Murs, and Todd Snider (among others...) were going to be preforming. Needless to say, I accepted the challenge. When we arrived, we set up camp in the vendors area. I then ventured out into the festival. There were rows of food vendors, booths of environmental activists, musical merchandise, and, most importantly, stages. Each stage had a name like What Stage, or Which Stage, or the Other Tent, or That Tent, which made directions rather confusing. "Excuse me kind sir, might you direct me to the Other Stage?" I watched Murs that night. The next morning I tabled with "J" and "D", other volunteers helping GRN. "J", as it turned out, was a dirty old man. He only became dirtier as the weekend progressed, as nobody seems to bathe at Bonnaroo. However, the filthiness I refer to is that of the mind. "J" constantly talked of women, and kept saying that we were studying astrology, "the study of heavenly bodies". As we were setting up camp, he asked me if I knew a passing lady. I responded in the negative, and asked if "J" knew her. He retorted that he did not, but that he wished he did. Seriously. He then kept saying things about the females from GRN who were working at Bonnaroo, like "if I were 20 years younger and single..." Apparently Rolling Stone Magazine features topless women in articles about Bonnaroo, because "J" kept asking me where the topless women were. I told him they were avoiding his lingering gaze. Did I mention that he brought a hatchet? Disconcertingly, another volunteer then did a line of coke and ambien off the GRN table while we were working. The whole weekend smelled like pot, porta potties, and horse poop (we had Canadian horseback riding police patrolling the campgrounds). Still, I had a blast, despite the fact that most of the hippies chose not to use the 7 dollar showers. I heard some amazing musical artists, people-watched, tabled, and didn't get much sleep. SO I think I'm gonna catch up on that now. Thanks for tuning in! Stay tuned in for the next episode, where our hero Moe Long ventures out into Nawlins further, exploring the city when he is not in a small, very warm office with no windows.
peace,
Moe

No comments:

Post a Comment